“There is almost nothing more important in life than feeding the planet. A wise man predicted that we must feed nine billion people by 2050”, pointed out justly by Darren Paris in the August issue of Milling and Grain. This is a challenge not just for the food industry but also most certainly for the feed industry. The better the animal feed for the species that provide us with milk, cheese and meat, the better the food on the table. It’s as simple as that. But this is easier said than done. In these times of rising energy prices, shortage of resources, emissions targets and changing legislation the compound feed industry is challenged to become more sustainable. Simultaneously the feed mill manager must meet his objectives to either maximize sales or optimize the feed for the production of meat, milk, or eggs. At the VICTAM International in Cologne, experts predicted dramatic changes for feed milling in Europe over the next 10 years. And how true this is, we don’t need to wait 10 years; it is already here today.
Flexible and efficient
Serving many farmers, each with their own specific preference for feed, the mill produces about 200 recipes. Most of the Swedish farmers like to have their own mix and with this new mill and the systems inside, Kalmar Lantmän can produce mixes, in a very efficient way, for every farmer even if the batch is only five tonnes.
- The hammer mills are fitted with automatic screen exchange, the raw materials can quickly and easily be ground to any desired feed structure
- For certain chicken feed products, the recipe is not transported through the hammer mill, but through a roller mill.
- The 52 raw material silos are set up for weighing, each with their own dosing weigher. All components of a recipe can thus be dosed simultaneously, resulting in 30 batches an hour at 4 tons each.
- C 900 pellet mills with unique die change systems allow fast die change in case of production of various pellet diameters.
- The double-deck cooler system allows a quick change of products. The process only takes a maximum of two minutes, this allows the mill to switch over quickly and saves a huge amount of production time annually.
- Two lines are equipped with special meal coolers
- If required, the pellets can be crumbled, for instance for chicken feed.
- To be able to add extra liquids on cold pellets or meal, each production line is fitted with a pellet coater.
- The end product goes to one of the 96 finished product silos.
- There are three loading lanes for bulk trucks. Each loading station is equipped with a double robot weigher for maximum speed and flexibility.
Energy efficiency was a pivotal feature of the whole project.
- The plant has been designed to make optimum use of gravity.
- Every effort was made to fit energy-efficient machines with energy-efficient motors. As all motors >30kW are frequency controlled and all motors with >200kW are with a low harmonic frequency converter.
- Unique is the energy recovery from the water cooling of motors with frequency controllers. This energy is re-used in other areas within the factory.
- Warm water is used to heat the liquid storage tanks which are located in insulated areas in three different temperature zones.